Monday, May 14, 2007

Day After Graduation!

It took four whole years and two especially difficult ones but I made it! It was an interesting day that began on Sat May 12 when my mom, boyfriend and I went to the mass at my campus. Luckily, we got there pretty early and found 3 seats together. They had finished building the church like only 3 years ago so it's modern with nice waterfalls, mosaics, and beautiful Marian imagery throughout the interior. I got teary eyed when during the intentions, we prayed for all those family members who can't be here for the graduates. Afterwards, we had a buffet style dinner which took too long in my opinion.

The next day, my mom, Jay, cousin, and aunt were the guests at my graduation. They had said prior to this that they were expecting over 10,000 people but today the number was more than 19,000! The reason for this is because for the first time in years, they had a general ceremony for everybody. Our guest speaker was George Stephanopolous which was verrry exciting. He was a great speaker. Everyone's name was called and we each had an opportunity to walk on stage, shake the president of the university's hand, and take a picture. As you can imagine, it took a long time but luckily my college, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences went first. I am a cum laude which doubled my enthusiasm. Although, I was two itty bitty points away from being magna cum laude. That's a bit disappointing because if I had known, I wouldn't have worked so hard! lol

The dinner was interesting to say the least. Our space in the restaurant was taken even though we booked it at least two months in advance. The appetizers were late (they came during dinner), the food was burned, and the service was poor. I'm grateful that my godfather and his wife are so outspoken because they complained loudly and we didn't have to pay expect for the deposit that was paid prior to last night. Everyone did have a good laugh though.

In loyal St. John's colors, I'm writing in red and am adding some pictures from the two days. I know this day was the best Mother's Day present I can ever give my mom. Now all I have to do is wait for my BA diploma in the mail. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, I have goosebumps!  I am so proud of you.  My daughter will be going away to college next year and I know she will make me as proud as I know your mom is of you.  Way to go Joanna!  I wish you the very best that life can offer.   : )  Love you!  Shelly