Friday, March 23, 2007

Egoism (not to be confused with Egotism)

    1. The ethical doctrine that morality has its foundations in self-interest.
    2. The ethical belief that self-interest is the just and proper motive for all human conduct.
  1. Excessive preoccupation with one's own well-being and interests, usually accompanied by an inflated sense of self-importance.
I've actually never heard of this word until today and it makes perfect sense to me. How many people do we know that abide by this concept and live according to what makes them, and only them, happy? Rather then taking that extra step and showing effort for someone else's good, they think "well how will this benefit ME?"

I've recently had a situation where someone actually admitted to me that they don't care about two of my family members. After asking the reason why, the person said "oh, well, if it was the other way around, they wouldn't care or ask about me or my family" !!! If it was the other way around! Well these two people are very fond of this person but if they only knew that the feeling isn't reciprocated. This hurts my feelings. How can this person dislike or not care about my family in such a way?!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O, I know some egotistics!  My brother for one. lol  I know it can be very hurtful though.  My best friend is like that and she doesn't even realize it.  But I love her anyway. : )  Hope you have a super fantastic weekend! Love, Shelly